Above is a the link to the National Candle Association which states:
"Validated scientific studies have shown that all major candle waxes exhibit the same basic burn behavior and produce virtually identical combustion byproducts, both in terms of composition and amount. To date, no peer-reviewed scientific study has ever collected or analyzed any emissions data on any candle wax, including petroleum-based paraffin, and proven them to be harmful to human health."
"All types of quality candle waxes have been shown to burn cleanly, safely and in the same manner. U.S. candle manufacturers select waxes or blends of waxes based on their suitability for specific types of candles or formulation profiles, as well as their own candle-making preferences."
I have searched & searched for studies done on this subject, & I haven't seen evidence that proves paraffin wax melts are dangerous or a healthy risk.
If you are still concerned about paraffin wax being unhealthy, there is many different variables that have to be taken into consideration. The main one being that wax melts are very different than candles. With wax melts, the wax is a carrier for the fragrance, & it is only being melted, not burned up & released into the air. Also, wax melts don't have a wick, so there isn't any risk of getting lead poison. Although lead wicks aren't allowed be manufactured or sold in the U.S. anymore.
I know there is a million & 2 different websites that swear paraffin was made by the devil to fill our homes with toxins. I've read these articles & blogs for hours & hours, looking into the references provided with the information. When I first started researching into making scented wax, I ate it all up, believing natural wax was the best option if I didn't want to fill my house with these cancerous toxins. The more I learned & deeper I searched for answers made me realize that all these hyped up paraffin hating articles are actually either quite vague, lacking important details, such as the source of the paraffin wax & quality of it, or they are just downright incorrect, & they do not have references to scientific studies that prove their claims. Many of these articles will provide references to studies showing lead candle wicks aren't good for your health due to the risk of lead poisoning. That is very much true, but lead wicks aren't allowed be manufactured or sold in the U.S. Furthermore, many of these sites/articles don't have an accountability structure in place for fact checking and monitoring. Also, some of the statistics & facts that are given & referenced can be outdated or incomplete.
Bottom line is, if I seen any bit of evidence that would make me concerned or believe that melting paraffin wax was toxic, I wouldn't be melting it in my house daily & exposing my two precious children to something dangerous.
You don't just have to take my word for it though. You can google something like "Is paraffin toxic", & look at a few articles. Click on the references, if there is any, to see if what they are saying is actually being referenced. If anyone can find something that I missed on this topic, please do let me know.
Love, Lee Lee